Holiday Safe Shopping Tips – Here is a brief guide to safe shopping this holiday season. We also include a few links with a wealth of resourceful information.
For those of you out and about, shopping this weekend and through the rest of the month, remember to shop safely!
- Don’t leave valuables inside your vehicle & LOCK YOUR DOORS.
- Keep valuables and gifts OUT OF PUBLIC SIGHT (home and vehicle).
- If it’s TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, that’s because IT IS.
- DO NOT LEAVE PACKAGES OUTSIDE your door. Ask a friend or neighbor to hold it until you arrive to retrieve it.
- Avoid shopping alone, if able, and REMAIN AWARE of your surroundings.
For a complete guide to shopping safety this holiday season, checked out this resource from LAPD: LAPD – Holiday Safety Tips.
And, for those of you shopping online, remember these online shopping tips:
- Shop from SECURE and known websites ONLY.
- It’s best to use a credit card NOT attached to your bank account.
- Provided the most LIMITED AMOUNT OF INFO necessary while shopping.
- MONITOR YOUR CREDIT more closely this holiday season.
- Shop from secure networks (home wifi, cellular service internet, etc.). It’s best to avoid using public wifi services, THEY ARE NOT SECURE.
- Use strong and different passwords for the varying sites you shop at.
- If it’s too good to be true, IT’S A SCAM and you could lose a lot. AVOID IT.
PLEASE see these great online shopping resources, too.
PCWorld – 12 Tips for Safer Black Friday & Cyber Monday Shopping
Mashable – Online Shopping Safety
USA Today – 8 Tips how to stay cyber Safe while Shopping